Saturday, August 30, 2008

A gift interlude

For Christmas 2007 my wife got me an Aqua Sphereing experience. The local centre is also only 5 miles from our house. Given that she was also the one who got me into SCUBA diving, I figured this would be fun. Unfortunately the weather in the UK this summer hasn't been that good, but eventually I managed to find the time and the weather held. Although the whole thing lasted only a minute or so, I had a fantastic time and now know what it feels like to be inside a giant washing machine. My friend Duane did something similar at JavaOne earlier this year, but I don't think there was water involved. If you get the chance, I'd definitely recommend the experience!

For our anniversary this year, my wife got me an EcoSphere (hmmm, there's definitely a spherical theme going on here!). It turned up the other day and it's fantastic. I love this sort of thing: mini-worlds, whether they're real or virtual, have always fascinated me. Maybe it's a god-complex or something, but I can spend hours just watching these worlds evolve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had the sphereing experience recently and it was so much fun, we certainly are in an elite club i think! most people i've spoken to have never heard of it but i think its great. I had the water in the zorb too and it made me feel like i was in a washing machine! A great present experience from my best friends!