Saturday, March 08, 2008

Distributed Java Project

While doing the project migration for C++SIM/JavaSim, I came across another old project of mine: a distributed Java framework. Back when Java was still Oak, there was no such thing as Java RMI. The kind of research we did in the Arjuna Project was all distributed in nature and we already had a C++ stub generator and Rajdoot RPC mechanism. So as the W3Objects work expanded (more on that in another entry), I took to implementing distributed Java. The system was interoperable with our C++ equivalent and generated client and server stubs based on C++ header files or Java interfaces. It was used in some of our research for a few years, but fell away as Java moved on and it became more of a chore to update. Ah ... those were the days.

No comments: