Sunday, January 23, 2011

Beanstalk and PaaS?

I didn't get a chance to write up everything I've got to say about the Amazon Beanstalk announcement, particularly as it applies to JBoss. I agree with some of what Sacha and the CloudBees team have to say: it's a good step for Java, but I also think it's pretty obvious that this would happen. I'm not sure if this is an "I told you so" moment.

However, once again I have to say that I agree with Paul on his assessment: it's not quite a PaaS ... yet. It seems that others agree, though not everyone is so sure. I'm sure we will see (have to see) further improvements to what is being offered, but as things stand, this doesn't fit my definition of PaaS. But this is a fast moving arena at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised to see things change in the future, particularly as the competition starts to heat up.

No comments: