Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Undiscovered Country

I grew up in the 60's and 70's with Star Trek. In those days you didn't have hundreds of TV channels or many options of things to watch and Star Trek stood out for good reasons. I continue to be a fan today, but the original series is my favourite. So it was with great sadness that I heard of the death of Leonard Nimoy. I watched him in Mission Impossible back then too, but it was as Spock that I'll remember him the most. I thought about how I'd want to put my thoughts down but realised that someone else said it a lot better than I could many years ago.

"We are assembled here today to pay final respects to our honored dead. And yet it should be noted that in the midst of our sorrow, this death takes place in the shadow of new life, the sunrise of a new world; a world that our beloved comrade gave his life to protect and nourish. He did not feel this sacrifice a vain or empty one, and we will not debate his profound wisdom at these proceedings. Of my friend, I can only say this: of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most... human."

No comments: